Department of Biomedical Sciences
Telephone: +39 0706754032 – lab 0706754959
Personal webpage: here
Principal areas of experise: Lipid metabolism; Nutrition and modulation of lipid derivatives such as endocannabinoid and congeners; Body composition homeostasis
RESEARCH MAIN TOPICS
Core competences in the field of nutrition, mainly in lipid metabolism. Characterization of fatty acids and other lipophilic bioactive molecules from animal and plant matrices. Studies on tissue metabolic changes, in experimental models and humans, induced by the dietary intake of different lipid formulations, in particular polyunsaturated fatty acids such as PUFAn-3. Modifications of the metabolism of Vitamin A induced by the dietary intake of conjugated polyunsaturated fatty acids. Research on the modulation of the biosynthesis and activity of eicosanoids and endocannabinoids. Evaluation of the influence of the qualitative and quantitative composition of dietary lipids on body composition homeostasis, compartmental distribution of adipose tissue, in relation to changes in lipid and energy metabolism, in experimental models and in humans. Chemical characterization of bioactive lipid molecules, by GC, HPLC, LC-MS-MS.
- Murru, S. Banni and G. Carta. Nutritional properties of dietary omega-3-enriched phospholipids BioMed Research International 2013, DOI 101155/2013/965417: 1-13.
- Carta, E. Murru, L. Cordeddu, B Ortiz, E. Giordano, MA. Belury, L. Quadro, S. Banni. Metabolic interactions between vitamin A and conjugated linoleic acid. Nutrients 2014, 6(3) 1262-1272. doi:10.3390/ nu6031262.
- Carta, E. Murru, S. Lisai, A. Sirigu, M. Collu, B. Batetta, L. Gambelli, A. Piras, S. Banni. Dietary Triacylglycerols with Palmitic Acid in the sn-2 Position Modulate Levels of NAcylethanolamides in Rat Tissues. PLOS ONE 2015, 1-12 DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0120424
- Carta, M. Melis, S. Pintus, P. Pintus, C. A. Piras, L. Muredda, D. Demurtas, V. Di Marzo, S. Banni & I. Tomassini Barbarossa Participants with normal weight or with obesity show different relationships of 6-n-propylthiouracil (prop) taster status with BMI and plasma endocannabinoids.Scientific Reports 2017,7:1361 doi:10.1038/s41598-017-01562-1
- Carta, E. Murru, S. Banni and C. Manca Palmitic acid: Physiological Role, Metabolism and Nutritional Implications. Review, Front. Physiol. – Lipidology 2017, 8:902 doi: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00902
- Melis*, G. Carta*, S. Pintus, P. Pintus, C. A. Piras, E. Murru, C. Manca, V. Di Marzo, S. Banni and I. Tomassini Barbarossa Polymorphism rs1761667 in the CD36 gene is associated to changes in fatty acid metabolism and circulating endocannabinoid levels distinctively in normal weight and obese subjects. Front. Physiol. – Lipidology 2017
- Carta, L. Poddighe, M. P. Serra, M. Boi, T. Melis, S. Lisai, E. Murru, L. Muredda, M. Collu, S. Banni and M. Quartu Preventive effects of resveratrol on endocannabinoid system and synaptic protein modiﬁcations in rat cerebral cortex challenged by bilateral common carotid artery occlusion and reperfusion. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2018, 19, 426
- L. Poddighe*, G. Carta*, M. P. Serra, T. Melis, M. Boi, S. Lisai, E. Murru, L. Muredda, M. Collu, S. Banni and M. Quartu Acute administration of beta-caryophyllene prevents endocannabinoid system activation during transient common carotid artery occlusion and reperfusion. Lipids in Health and Disease 2018, 17:23 DOI 10.1186/s12944-018-0661-4
- Murru E., Carta G.*, Cordeddu L., Melis MP., Desogus E., Ansar H., Chilliard Y., Ferlay A., Stanton C., Coakley M., Ross RP., Piredda G., Addis M., Mele MC., Cannelli G., Banni S., Manca C. Dietary Conjugated Linoleic AcidEnriched Cheeses Inﬂuence the Levels of Circulating n-3 Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids in Humans. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2018, 19(6) E1730;
- Boero, M.G. Pisu, F. Biggio, L. Muredda, G. Carta, S. Banni, E. Paci, P. Follesa, A. Concas, P. Porcu, M. Serra Impaired glucocorticoid-mediated HPA axis negative feedback induced by juvenile social isolation in male rats. Neuropharmacology 2018, 133:242-253 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropharm.2018.01.045