Department of Biomedical Sciences
Telephone: +39 070 675 4122
Personal webpage: here
Main areas of expertise: Chromosome Instability, thyroid cancer, anticancer therapy
♦ Main research topics
The main research has addressed various aspects of the biology of Solid Tumors, developing specific knowledge on markers genetics in both malignant and benign cancer.
The main current research topics are:
• Study of chromosome instability and three-dimensional telomere architecture, with the aim of stratifying subgroups of patients with different degrees of disease progression. In particular, our current recent research interests are focused on differentiated thyroid tumors.
• Define the biological-genetic-molecular parameters that distinguish the natural history of familial papillary thyroid cancer (fPTC) compared to sporadic PTC, in order to determine the best screening strategy and to identify cellular mechanisms and genes that may indicate susceptibility to fPTC.
• Evaluate the molecular pathways involved in the antiproliferative, antioxidant, and antitumor effects of different compounds on various types of cancer.
A new horizon of lab research is the study of chromosome instability and telomere biology in other pathological conditions such as Parkinson’s Disease and Multiple Sclerosis.
- Dettori T, Sanna G, Cocco A, Serreli G, Deiana M, Palmas V, Onnis V, Pilia L, Melis N, Moi D, Caria P, and Secci F. Synthesis and Antiproliferative Effect of Halogenated Coumarin Derivatives. Molecules, 2022.
- Murgia F, Giagnoni F, Lorefice L, Caria P, Dettori T, D’Alterio MN, Angioni S, Hendren AJ, Caboni P, Pibiri M, Monni G, Cocco E, Atzori L.Sex Hormones as Key Modulators of the Immune Response in Multiple Sclerosis: A Review. Biomedicines. 2022
- Pani, Fabiana; Caria, Paola; Yasuda, Yoshinori; Miyara Makoto; Mariotti, Stefano; et al. The Immune Landscape of Papillary Thyroid Cancer in the Context of Autoimmune Thyroiditis. Cancers, 2022.
- Rangel-Pozzo A, Dettori T, Virginia Frau D, Etzi F, Gartner J, Fisher G, Vanni R, Mai S, Caria P. Three-dimensional telomere profiles in papillary thyroid cancer variants: a pilot study. Bosn J Basic Med Sci.,2021.
- Tronci L, Serreli G, Piras C, Frau DV, Dettori T, Deiana M, Murgia F, Santoru ML, Spada M, Leoni VP, Griffin JL, Vanni R, Atzori L, Caria P. Vitamin C Cytotoxicity and Its Effects in Redox Homeostasis and Energetic Metabolism in Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Cell Lines. Antioxidants (Basel), 2021.
- Ibba R, Piras S, Corona P, Riu F, Loddo R, Delogu I, Collu G, Sanna G, Caria P, Dettori T, Carta A. Synthesis, Antitumor and Antiviral In Vitro Activities of New Benzotriazole-Dicarboxamide Derivatives. Front Chem. 2021
- Alessio Squassina, Mirko Manchia, Claudia Pisanu, Raffaella Ardau, Carlo Arzedi, Alberto Bocchetta, Paola Caria, Cristina Cocco, Donatella Congiu, Eleonora Cossu, Tinuccia Dettori, Daniela Virginia Frau, Mario Garzilli, Elias Manca, Anna Meloni, Maria Antonietta Montis, Andrea Mura, Mariella Nieddu, Barbara Noli, Pasquale Paribello, Federica Pinna, Renato Robledo, Giovanni Severino, Valeria Sogos, Maria Del Zompo, Gian Luca Ferri, Caterina Chillotti, Roberta Vanni, Bernardo Carpiniello. Telomere attrition and inflammatory load in severe psychiatric disorders and in response to psychotropic medications. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2020.
- Aline Rangel-Pozzo, Luiza Sisdelli, Maria Isabel V. Cordioli, Fernanda Vaisman , Paola Caria, Sabine Mai and Janete M. Cerutti. Genetic Landscape of Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma and Nuclear Architecture: An Overview Comparing Pediatric and Adult Populations. Cancers, 2020.
- Caria P, Dettori T, Frau DV, Lichtenzstejn D, Pani F, Vanni R, Mai S. Characterizing the three-dimensional organization of telomeres in papillary thyroid carcinoma cells. J Cell Physiol., 2019
- Caria P, Tronci L, Dettori T, Murgia F, Santoru ML, Griffin JL, Vanni R, Atzori L. Metabolomic Alterations in Thyrospheres and Adherent Parental Cells in Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Cell Lines: A Pilot Study. Int J Mol Sci., 2018