Department of Biomedical Sciences
Telephone: +39 070 675 8683
Personal webpage: here
Principal areas of expertise: Regenerative medicine, Placental stem cells, Carcinogenesis.
♦ Main research topics
Regenerative Medicine: Our current recent research interests are focused on the use of placental stem cells, particularly amniotic epithelial cells, as a possible source for the regenerative medicine of the liver and other tissues/organs. Studies include the isolation and characterization of placental stem cells and their secreted products.
Carcinogenesis: We are also interested in studying the role of tissue microenvironment in the development and progression of cancer, with a particular focus of the importance tissue pattern formation, cell competition, cell senescence and aging.
- Marongiu F, Serra M, Laconi E. Development versus Evolution in Cancer Biology. Trends Cancer. 2018 May;4(5):342-348. doi: 10.1016/j.trecan.2018.03.007
- Laconi E, Marongiu F, DeGregori J. Cancer as a disease of old age: changing mutational and microenvironmental landscapes. Br J Cancer. 2020 Mar;122(7):943-952. doi: 10.1038/s41416-019-0721-1
- Marongiu F, Serra MP, Fanti M, Cadoni E, Serra M, Laconi E. Regenerative Medicine: Shedding Light on the Link between Aging and Cancer. Cell Transplant. 2017 Sep;26(9):1530-1537. doi: 10.1177/0963689717721224
- Fanti M, Gramignoli R, Serra M, Cadoni E, Strom SC, Marongiu F. Differentiation of amniotic epithelial cells into various liver cell types and potential therapeutic applications. Placenta. 2017 Nov;59:139-145. doi: 10.1016/j.placenta.2017.03.020
- Marongiu F, Serra MP, Doratiotto S, Sini M, Fanti M, Cadoni E, Serra M, Laconi E. Aging promotes neoplastic disease through effects on the tissue microenvironment. Aging (Albany NY). 2016 Dec 6;8(12):3390-3399. doi: 10.18632/aging.101128
- Marongiu M, Serra MP, Contini A, Sini M, Strom SC, Laconi E, Marongiu F. Rat-derived amniotic epithelial cells differentiate into mature hepatocytes in vivo with no evidence of cell fusion. Stem Cells Dev. 2015 Jun 15;24(12):1429-35. doi: 10.1089/scd.2014.0532
- Serra MP*, Marongiu F*, Marongiu M, Contini A, Laconi E. Cell-autonomous decrease in proliferative competitiveness of the aged hepatocyte. J Hepatol. 2015 Jun;62(6):1341-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jhep.2015.01.015
- Marongiu F, Serra MP, Sini M, Angius F, Laconi E. Clearance of senescent hepatocytes in a neoplastic-prone microenvironment delays the emergence of hepatocellular carcinoma. Aging (Albany NY). 2014 Jan;6(1):26-34. doi: 10.18632/aging.100631
- Serra MP*, Marongiu F*, Sini M, Laconi E. Hepatocyte senescence in vivo following preconditioning for liver repopulation. Hepatology. 2012 Aug;56(2):760-8. doi: 10.1002/hep.25698
- Marongiu F, Gramignoli R, Dorko K, Miki T […] Strom SC. Hepatic differentiation of amniotic epithelial cells. Hepatology. 2011 May;53(5):1719-29. doi: 10.1002/hep.24255