Department of Medical Sciences and Public Health
Telephone: +39 070 6754560
Personal webpage: here
Main areas of expertise: autoimmunity, primary immunodeficiencies, immunity dysregulation
After full degree in Medicine in 2007, Dr. Firinu obtained the Specialization degree in Internal Medicine at the University of Cagliri in 2013. He works in the wards of the Department of Internal medicine, Allergy and Clinical Immunology, managing the diagnostic and therapeutic processes of adults with complex diseases in inpatient and outpatient care setting.
He is currently an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Cagliari, and serves as a board member of the Biologicals Interest Group, at European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
The main research interests are autoimmunity, primary immunodeficiencies and rare diseases associated with dysregulation of immunity.
Additional fields of interest include the innate and acquired responses to fungal infectious diseases and the genetic regulation of the immune system.
- Steri, M., Orru, V., Idda, M.L., …Zoledziewska, M., Cucca, F. Overexpression of the cytokine BAFF and autoimmunity risk. New England Journal of Medicine, 2017, 376(17), pp. 1615–1626
- Orrù, V., Steri, M., Sole, G., …Sanna, S., Cucca, F. Genetic variants regulating immune cell levels in health and disease. Cell, 2013, 155(1), pp. 242
- Bafunno, V., Firinu, D., D’Apolito, M., …Del Giacco, S., Margaglione, M. Mutation of the angiopoietin-1 gene (ANGPT1) associates with a new type of hereditary angioedema. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 2018, 141(3), pp. 1009–1017
- Firinu, D., Barca, M.P., Lorrai, M.M., …Manconi, P.E., Del Giacco, S.R. TH17 cells are increased in the peripheral blood of patients with SAPHO syndrome. Autoimmunity, 2014, 47(6), pp. 389–394
- Firinu, D., Bafunno, V., Vecchione, G., …Margaglione, M., Del Giacco, S.R. Characterization of patients with angioedema without wheals: The importance of F12 gene screening. Clinical Immunology, 2015, 157(2), pp. 239–248
- Bova, M., Suffritti, C., Bafunno, V., …Zoli, A., Cicardi, M. Impaired control of the contact system in hereditary angioedema with normal C1-inhibitor. Allergy: European Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 2020, 75(6), pp. 1394–1403
- Sanna, M., Firinu, D., Manconi, P.E., …Del Giacco, S.R., Cabras, T. The salivary proteome profile in patients affected by SAPHO syndrome characterized by a top-down RP-HPLC-ESI-MS platform. Molecular BioSystems, 2015, 11(6), pp. 1552–1562
- Cinetto, F., Scarpa, R., Carrabba, M., …Quinti, I., Milito, C. Granulomatous Lymphocytic Interstitial Lung Disease (GLILD) in Common Variable Immunodeficiency (CVID): A Multicenter Retrospective Study of Patients From Italian PID Referral Centers. Frontiers in Immunology, 2021, 12, 627423
- Loules, G., Parsopoulou, F., Zamanakou, M., …Farkas, H., Germenis, A.E. Deciphering the genetics of primary angioedema with normal levels of C1 inhibitor. Journal of Clinical Medicine, 2020, 9(11), pp. 1–8, 3402
- Firinu, D., Loffredo, S., Bova, M., …Margaglione, M., Del Giacco, S. The role of genetics in the current diagnostic workup of idiopathic non-histaminergic angioedema. Allergy: European Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 2019, 74(4), pp. 810–812
- Firinu, D., Bassareo, P.P., Zedda, A.M., …Mercuro, G., Del Giacco, S. Impaired endothelial function in hereditary angioedema during the symptom-free period. Frontiers in Physiology, 2018, 9(MAY), 523