Born in Samassi (Cagliari) the 14/01/1945. He took his degree in Chemistry in 1968. Since this data he has been working at Cagliari University as “Assistente”, then as “Professore Incaricato”, from 1985 to 2001 as “Professore Associato”, and since 2001 as Full Professor of Analytical Chemistry.
2000-2001 President of “Società Chimica Italiana – Sezione Sardegna”
2004-2007 Director of the Department of “Scienze Chimiche” at Cagliari University.
He organized in Cagliari:
- 1997 the VIII Italian-Spanish Congress on Thermodynamics of Metal Complexes, during which a special session was devoted to “Iron Chelators”. He was guest editor of a special number of Coordination Chemistry Reviews devoted to ISMEC 97.
- 2005 Annual Italian Congress of Analytical Chemistry;
- 2007 XVIII Italian-Spanish Congress on Thermodynamics of Metal Complexes. He was guest editor of a special number of Coordination Chemistry Reviews devoted to ISMEC 2007
- As President of “Società Chimica Italiana – Sezione Sardegna” he organized in Cagliari two local meetings for young researchers, in 2000 and 2001.
He is author of more than 100 papers on international Journals. The majority of these works deal with solution equilibria and especially with:
1) theoretical studies on the factors affecting the reliability of estimated parameters in the spectrophotometric study of equilibria;
2) least-squares methods and related computer programs for the calculation of formation constants and absorptivities;
3) studies on the interactions between metal ions and biomolecules studied by potentiometry, UV-Vis spectrophotometry and NMR.
4) metal chelators to be used in clinical applications to remove toxic metal ions from human body;
5) analytical studies on the distribution of toxic elements in various human tissues.
He has been the reviewer of more than 200 papers for international journals.
He attended over 100 congresses presenting the relative communications and seven invited plenary lectures; he delivered lectures in various Universities, among which Burgos, Girona, Brno and Wroclaw.
Since 2010 to 2013 he was President of the European Group of Thermodynamic of Metal Complexes; in this respect he was the guest editor of a special number of Coordination Chemistry Reviews devoted to the activities of the Group, published in January 2012.
As an Analytical Chemistry Professor he was charged different times by Court and by Regional Administration to coordinate working groups for environmental and pollution studies.