CURRICULUM VITAE ET STUDIORUM DI TIZIANA PONTILLO
BIOGRAPHICAL DATA AND TITLES
29/05/1969 b. Brescia
02/07/1991 Graduated in CLASSICAL HUMANITIES at Milan’s CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY with a mark of 110 / 110 with Honours. Title of the thesis: “Etymologies and Patterns of Thought in Nirukta and Śatapatha-Brāhmaṇa”. Chief-examiner: Prof. G. Bonazzoli; Co-examiner Prof. G. Bolognesi.
1994-‘95 Specialization Scholarship, University of Milan, “Fondazione Confalonieri”. Supervisors: Prof. G. Boccali – Prof. G. Bolognesi.
Research DOCTORATE Course in “Linguistics and Philology”, University of Milan 1996-1999. She got her PhD title on 3/03/2000, discussing a thesis on Zero-Morphology in Pāṇini’s Grammar with the title “Allomorphs and ‘Zeromorph’ morphemes in Panini: the replacement of morphemes with the phonic zero”.
Since 2011 Member of the Editorial Board and Peer Reviewer of the Journal “Pandanus”, Prague and since 2012 a Peer Reviewer for the Publications of the series “Classical Indological Studies”, Cracow and “Rivista di Studi Orientali”, Roma, since 2018 for LEA – Lingue e letterature d’Oriente e d’Occidente (Firenze University Press), since 2019 for “Rocznik Orientalistyczny The Yearbook of Oriental Studies” (Lwów-Kraków-Warszawa) and ‘Journal of Portuguese Linguistics’
She has been member of the ‘Associazione Italiana di Studi Sanscriti’ since 1993 (adviser since 2015), of the ‘Sodalizio Glotttologico Milanese’ since 1996 and of the ‘Società Italiana di Glottologia’ since 1997”, of the International Association of Sanskrit Studies since 2011.
Since 01/03/2016 she has been L-OR/18 “INDOLOGIA E TIBETOLOGIA” ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR (2/12/2002 (confirmed 2/12/2005-) “Researcher” at the Faculty of Humanities (Philology, Literature and Linguistics Department) of Cagliari’s University, via Is Mirrionis, 1 – 09123 Cagliari – Phone 0039-070-675-7170.
2018- VICE-COORDINATOR OF THE INTERNATIONAL PHD COURSE in Philological and Literary, Historical and Cultural Studies in collaboration with the University of Edinburgh and Uniwersytet Jagiellonski w Krakowie
06/09/2018 Qualified as Full Professor – National Scientific Habilitation – SC 10/N3 “CULTURE DELL’ASIA CENTRALE E ORIENTALE” (DD n. 1532/2016)
2014 Qualified as Associated Professor – National Scientific Habilitation – SC 10/N3 “CULTURE DELL’ASIA CENTRALE E ORIENTALE” (DD n. 222/2012).
11/12/2015: Chancellor’s Decree on the positive end of the Evaluation Procedure for the Associate Professor Position at the Department of Philology, Literature and Linguistics of the University of Cagliari: SC 10/N3 / SSD L-OR/18
AFFILIATIONS and TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- In 2001-2002 and 2002-2003 she was associated with the Department of Linguistics and Classical Philology at the UNIVERSITY OF UDINE, and taught “GENERAL LINGUISTICS” (L-LIN/01) at the Faculty of Educational Science at the University of Udine, working on a fixed term contract.
- Since 2003 onward: Teacher of “Sanskrit Language and Literature” and “Indian Religions and Philosophies” at the UNIVERSITY of CAGLIARI.
- 2009-2018: member of the Teaching Committee of the ‘Euro-Asian Studies PhD School: Indology, Linguistics, Onomastics’ at the UNIVERSITY OF TURIN.
- 2018, March 19th-23th– Teacher in “The Vyākaraṇa Week: The Vyākaraṇa Week: Reading Seminar on Sanskrit Grammatical Literature” at the University ‘L’Orientale’ of Naples.
- 2018- Member of the Academic Board and Vice-coordinator (Coordinator of the Curriculum “Antiquities and Middle Age”) of the International PhD Course in Philological and Literary, Historical and Cultural Studies in collaboration with the University of Edinburgh and Uniwersytet Jagiellonski w Krakowie
- 2019, June 3rd-15th– Teacher (18 h) of Pāṇini’s Sanskrit grammar: focus on the Vedic descriptive pattern of substitution (with Prof. M. Kulkarni from the IIT of Bombay and Visiting Professor at Cagliari and Prof. M.P. Candotti from the University of Pisa)
- 2019Sponsor of a Two-week-Visiting Scientist Programme (M. Kulkarni, I.T. Bombay) – Panini’s Grammar
- 2019-2020 Principal Investigator Project UE/RAS L.R. 7 agosto 2007, n. 7 RICERCA DI BASE annualità 2017Codice Progetto: REG RASSR15811 (D.R. N° 166/2019 DEL 06.02.2019) condiviso con Elisabetta Poddighe, Tristano Gargiulo, Stefano Novelli, N. Bazzano, Lorenzo Tanzini e Sergio Tognetti dell’Università di Cagliari. Titolo progetto: Giustificare il cambiamento e rendere il nuovo accettabile: lessico, retorica e meccanismi di legittimazione per riforme, rivoluzioni, mutamenti sociali e innovazione politica dal mondo antico alla prima età moderna. Un approccio multidisciplinare.
- 2016 Sponsor of a 4 month Visiting Scientist Programme (M.P. Candotti, Univ. Lausanne) – Vedic Studies
- 2012-2015 U.E./R.A.S. Project (134.400 Euros), University of Milan. Principal Investigator. Title: “Traces of anHeterodox Concept of Kingship in the Ancient, Medieval and Modern India” (june 2012-june 2015). Partners of this research are Prof. G. Boccali (Milano), P.G. Solinas (Siena), L. Sudyka (Cracow), J. Vacek (Prague); Members of the Group (PhD): C. Bignami (Tübingen/Turin), D. Cinellu (Cagliari/Siena), E. Debicka Borek (Cracow); M. Dore (Cagliari/Turin), F. Köhler (Tübingen); E. Mucciarelli (Tübingen/Turin).
- 2009-2011 Project for Young Researchers (“Start-up …5%)” (8500 Euros), University of Cagliari: Principal Investigator. Title: “Denotazione in absentia nella derivazione, nella composizione e nell’identificazione metaforica e metonimica: convergenze sullo zero morfologico tra poetica e grammatica” Cooperation with Dr. M.P. Candotti (Lausanne); help from Pandit A. Sharma, Pondicherry.
- 2000-2001 Project for Young Researchers (old currency = 1500 Euros), University of Milan: Principal Investigator (member: Dr. P. Rossi). Title: “The subject of the ocean in epic poetry and in Ancient Indian cultural history”.
ORGANIZATION OF RECENT WORKSHOPS, CONFERENCES AND COURSES
Cagliari, June 3-15, 2019 Co-organizer (with M.P. Candotti) and Teacher of the Vyākaraṇa Summer School with M.P. Candotti and M. Kulkarni
Poznań, 15-17/05/2017 – Adam Mickiewicz University – 33rd South Asian Languages Analysis Roundtable – Workshop “Diversity in the Vedic Lexicon and its role in reconstructing the most ancient Indo-Aryan language layers” – Conveners MariaPiera Candotti, Univ. Lausanne, Tiziana Pontillo, Univ. Cagliari, and Velizar Sadovski, Univ. Vienna.
Cagliari, 4-13 luglio 2016: Organizer of a “Pali” Summer School – Teachers: Prof. Mark Allon (Univ. Sydney, Australia) and Dr. Chiara Neri (Univ. La Sapienza di Roma)
Bangkok, 28 June–02 July 2015: Co-organizer (with Dr. Dore) of the Panel “VRĀTYA CULTURE IN VEDIC SOURCES” (as a part of the “Veda and Vedic Literature” section in the 16th World Sanskrit Conference) under the Supervision of Prof. H.H. Hock (Univ.Illinois, U.S.A.).
Cagliari, 8-13th September 2014: Co-organizer (with Dr. Candotti) of the Summer School TECHNICAL ANALYSIS of COMPOUNDS (between grammar and poetics). Teachers: S. Bhate (Bhandarkar Oriental Institute, Pune), MP. Candotti (UNIL, Lausanne) and T.Pontillo (Università di Cagliari, Cagliari).
Cagliari, May 14th-16th, 2015: Co-organizer (with Dr. Dore) of the International Conference: PATTERNS OF BRAVERY. The Figure of the Hero in Indian Literature, Art and Thought
Cagliari, June 26th – 28th 2013. Co-organizer (with Dr. Mucciarelli, Dore, Cinellu, Bignami) of the International Conference: THE BROKEN WORLD OF SOVEREIGNTY IN INDIA AND BEYOND
Cagliari, June 13th – 16th 2012 Organizer of the XV CONVEGNO DELL’ASSOCIAZIONE ITALIANA DI STUDI SANSCRITI / SEMINARIO “LA REGALITÀ IN INDIA NELLA SOCIETÀ, NELLA STORIA E NELLE ESPRESSIONI ARTISTICHE.”
Cagliari, 8th-9th April, 2011 Co-organizer (with Dr. Candotti -Visiting Professor) of the Workshop “IL SEGNO E IL VUOTO. Spunti sulla denotazione in absentia”
ACTIVE PARTICIPATION AT CONFERENCES, WORKSHOPS AND SEMINARIES
- Univ. Pisa, Dipartimento di Civiltà e Forme del Sapere, June 18th, 2019 – Seminar “Ancient Grammars and Modern Linguistic Thought: Opportunities and Challenges” – relazione sui Bahuvrihi tra grammatical paniniana e linguistica strutturalista americana.
- Charles University in Prague, Institute of South and Central Asia, Faculty of Arts, September 27th-29th, 2018. Mocci, D. – T. Pontillo, “That elephant of a horse”: therionyms involved in Pāṇini’s karmadhāraya-rules”, presented during the Seminar Nature in Indian Literature, Art, Myth and Ritual: 20 years of the Pandanus project.
- Roma, La Sapienza, September, 17th-18th, 2018 – 1° Convegno CISPELS (Storia del pensiero linguistico e semiotico). M.P. Candotti – R. Pontillo, “Pāṇini’s substitution and allomorphy: are morphemes actually endowed with a fixed status?”
- Univ. Pisa, Dipartimento di Civiltà e Forme del Sapere, 28 maggio 2018 – Lezione dal titolo “Sanscrito yogaksema, Pāli yogakkhema: diacronia di un composto sanscrito ovverola grammatica al servizio dell’ideologia”
- Varsavia, September 21st-23rd 2017 International Seminar “Journeys and Travellers, Routes and Destinations in Indian Literature and Art”.Joint paper con Chiara Neri: “Setu, “bridge”, a connection between places and states in Brahmanical and Early Buddhist sources”
- Paris, International Conference on the History of the Language Sciences XIV – 28th August – 1st September 2017, Workshop on ‘Extended grammars’ – Did the Sanskrit model bring a “true enlightenment to European Scholars” when they analysed and classified the bahuvrīhi-compounds?
- Toronto, XVIII Congress of the International Association of Buddhist Studies, August, 20-25, 2017 – Joint paper con Chiara Neri “A Philological Approach to Comparative
- Religious Studies: The Case of yogakkhema/yogakṣema in Theravāda Buddhism and Brahmanism”(Section 02 Buddhism and Its Relation to Other Religions)
- Poznań, 15-17/05/2017 – Adam Mickiewicz University – 33rd South Asian Languages Analysis Roundtable – Convener (con MariaPiera Candotti, Univ. Lausanne e Velizar Sadovski, Univ. Vienna, del Workshop “Diversity in the Vedic Lexicon and its role in reconstructing the most ancient Indo-Aryan language layers” + Joint Paper con MariaPiera Candotti “The lexicon of the ‘act of accepting (pratigraha)’: an approach to the multilayered Vedic culture”.
- Milano, Università degli Studi, 11/04/2017 – Sodalizio Glottologico Milanese – “Dal più iconico al meno iconico: sintagmi morfologici in Pāṇini”
- Milano, 25/11/2016, Università degli Studi, Conferenza “Narrare la Riforma: tracce di istituzioni pre-Śrauta nel Mahābhārata
- Cambridge, 11/11/2016, Faculty of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies “The general samartha-constraint of word-formation rules in the Pāṇinian tradition”
- Torino, 20-22/10/2016, Convegno Internazionale “Parole e idee in/oltre l’Asia Meridionale: tradurre e produrre testi in contenuti multilinguistici” – Relazione “Ri-produrre testi indo-arii antichi traghettandoli alla sponda brahmanica della Riforma”
- Cracow, Jagiellonian University, 23-24/09/2016 International Seminar “Crossing Boundaries…” (Annual Rotating International Seminars Cagliari-Cracow-Milan-Prague-Warsaw) Joint Paper con Dott. Chiara Neri “What is the boundary between Vedic yogakṣema and Suttapiṭaka yogakkhema?” )
- Milano, Università Bicocca, Statale, Cattolica, 22/09/2016 (Paper SLI – Workshop Pisani): “Lessico indoario nella linguistica areale” versione ‘Pisani’
- Napoli, 27 aprile 2016, “L’Orientale” Università degli Studi di Napoli – Conferenza “Cultura indo-ārya antica marginalizzata: un’ipotesi”
- Convener with H.H. Hock and M. Dore of the Panel “Vratya culture in Vedic Sources!
- Bangkok, 28/6–02/07/2015, 16th World Sanskrit Conference, Joint paper (C. Neri) “What was the meaning of the phrase “to become Brahman/Brahmā” in Vedic and Pāli texts?
- Bangkok, 8/6–02/07/2015: Joint Paper (MP. Candotti)
- Athens, 25-28/5/2015, ATINER Intern. Conf. on Philosophy: Joint paper (V. Melis)
- Cagliari, 14-16/5/2015, Intern. Conf. “Patterns of Bravery…”: Joint Paper (MP. Candotti) Is the garagir a hero’s image? Reflections on the act of accepting (pratigraha)
- Cagliari, 14-16 may 2015, Joint paper (C.Neri) The Apotheosis of the Hero in the Path to Salvation: brahmabhūta and some comparable phrases in Vedic and Sutta Piṭaka sources
- Bologna, 27-28/32015, Conv. AISS, “Come parla e come si purifica un Dīkṣita”
- Kozhikode (Calicut), Kerala, 7-10/1/2014. 6th Intern. Vedic Workshop 2014: T. Pontillo, “Devayāna and Dyutāna in some supposed Proto-Indo-Aryan I fragments.”
- Cagliari, 26th-28th June 2013. Indological Seminar. The broken World of Sovereignty in India and beyond: T. Pontillo, “Is the Vrātyastoma really a purification rite?”.
- Prague, 30/5-1/6/2013, 150th Anniversary of the Birth of M. Winternitz Seminar. M. Dore – T. Pontillo, “What do Vrātyas have to do with long-stalked plants?”
- Roma, La Sapienza – MNAO, 14-15/3/2013 Intern. Conf., M.P. Candotti – T. Pontillo, “Is svabhāva a strictly grammatical expression in the M?”
- Moscow, Lemosonov State University, Intern. Conf. on the South Asian Languages and Literatures, 5-7/07/2012
- Torino, 2/6/2012, Giornata di Studi Metodologici per il Corso di Dottorato in “Studi Euroasiatici: Indologia, Linguistica e Onomastica”
- Cagliari, 15-16/6/2012, XV Convegno AISS: T. Pontillo, “Rituale ‘tváṃ rājan brahmá̄si’ e ascetici brahmabhūta.”
- New Delhi, 15th World Sanskrit Conference, 5-10/1/2012
- Krakow, Jagiellonian University, “History and Society as described in Indian Literature and Art”, 15th-17th September 2011: T. Pontillo, “The Debate On Asceticism As A Permanent Choice Of Life”
- Cagliari, 8-9/04/2011, Workshop “Il Segno e il Vuoto (Joint paper: MP. Candotti)
- Gargnano/Milan, Italia, U6-18/09/2010, Intern. Seminar “Stylistic Devices in Indian Literature and Art” (Joint paper: G. Boccali)
- Milano, 21/02/2010, Sod. Glott. Milanese (Joint paper: MP. Candotti)
- Calicut, Kerala, India, University of Calicut – 7-9/01/2010, Intern. Seminar on Narrative Techniques in Indian Literature and Arts
- Kyoto, Japan, Kyoto University, 01-05/09/2009, 14th World Sanskrit Conference, Section 6. Poetry, Drama and Aesthetics (Joint paper: G. Boccali)
- Prague, Charles University, 4-7/06/2009, Pandanus Seminar
- Warsaw, Poland, University of Warsaw, 25-26/09/2008, Intern. Kāvya Seminar
- Potsdam, Germany, 28/08-2/09/2008, Intern. Conf. on the History of Language Sciences, Workshop “The Indian Traditions of Language Studies” (Joint paper: MP. Candotti)
- Dubrovnik, Croatia, 11-16/08/2008, Fifth Dubrovnik International Conference On The Sanskrit Epics And Purāṇas 5: T. Pontillo, “Droṇa and Bhīṣma… some other traces of the Vrātya tradition in the Mahābhārata.”
- Milano, 10/03/2008, Sod. Glott. Milanese,
- Milano, 21-22/09/2007 – Intern. Seminar “Kings and Ascetics in Indian Classical Literature”, T.Pontillo, “Where the ascetics lead their life …”
- Roma, 25-26/01/2007 – XIII Conv. AISS
- Edinburgh, U.K., 10-14/07/2006 – 13th World Sanskrit Conference: Vyākaraṇa Section
- Prague, Czech Republik, 18-21/05/2006, Pandanus Seminar.
- Krakow-Zakopane, Poland, 22-25/09/2005, Intern. Seminar “Love and Nature in Kāvya Literature”
- Genova, 23/07/2003-15/10/2003, II Incontro Genov. di St. Vedici e Pāṇiniani (Joint paper: MP. Candotti)
- Helsinki, Finland, 13-18/07/2003, 12th World Sanskrit Conference – Section 5: Vyākaraṇa (Joint paper: MP. Candotti)
- Milano 23/11/2002, XI Conv. AISS
- Genova, 16/07/2002, I Incontro Genov. di Studi Vedici e Pāṇiniani
- Prague, Charles University, 24-25/5/2002, International Workshop Pandanus ’02 (Joint paper: MP. Rossi)
- Milano, 13/5/2002, Seduta Straordinaria di “Linguistica e Filologia indoaria” Sod. Glott. Milanese
- Milano, 19/6/2000, Sod. Glott. Milanese
- Genova 23-24/10/1997, IX Conv. AISS
- Torino 20-21/10/1995, VIII AISS
- Palermo 20-21/5/1993, VII AISS