Curriculum Vitae for Roberto Loi, Ph.D.
University of Cagliari
Department of Biomedical Sciences
Section of Pathology
Oncology ad Molecular Pathology Unit
Via Porcell 4
Tel. +39 070 675 8638
Fax +39 070 666062
2002 Ph.D. in Molecular and Cellular Pathology University of Perugia, Italy
1994 Specialization course in Virological Techniques.
1992 B. Sc. in Biology, cum laude, University of Cagliari, Italy
Awards and grants
2013-2014 Grant FFC#2/2013 – Italian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Role: PI. Project title: An induced pluripotent stem cell (iPS)-based approach for the repopulation and phenotypic correction of cystic fibrosis airway epithelium (Extension).
2010-2012 Grant FFC#3/2010 – Italian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Role: PI. Project title: An induced pluripotent stem cell (iPS)-based approach for the repopulation and phenotypic correction of cystic fibrosis airway epithelium.
2006-2008 Grant FFC#5/2006 – Italian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Role: PI. Project title: Mechanisms of recruitment of adult bone marrow-derived cells to normal and cystic fibrosis airway epithelium.
1997-2002 Fogarty International Center (NIH, National Institutes of Health) Fellowship
1994-1995 Sardinian Regional Government Research Fellowship
2006 – 2010: Course of General Pathology for the students of the Faculty of Farmacy, degree in Chemistry and Farmaceutical Technologies.
2011-12: Module of the course of Cellular and Molecular Pathology for the students of the Faculty of Pharmacy, Degree in Toxicology.
2013-present: Course of General Pathology for the students of the Faculty of Biology and Pharmacy, Degree in Biology.
2006-present: “Ricercatore”, University of Cagliari, Department of Biomedical Sciences.
2003-2005: Postdoctoral Associate. Department of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington VT, USA.
1997- 2002: Visiting Fellow. Laboratory of Experimental Carcinogenesis, Center for Cancer Research, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA.
1996-1997: Ph.D. Student. Department of Toxicology – Oncology and Molecular Pathology Section, University of Cagliari, Italy.
1994-1995: Sardinian government Research Fellow. Department of Experimental Biology, Microbiology Section, University of Cagliari, Italy.
1992-1993: Internship. Department of Toxicology, University of Cagliari, Italy.
1990-1992: Undergraduate student. Department of Experimental Biology, Division of Neurosciences, University of Cagliari, Italy.
Bibliometric indicators (Source: Scopus)
- h-index: 13
- Total citations: 648
List of Publications
- Comparative Decellularization and Recellularization of Wild-Type and Alpha 1,3 Galactosyltransferase Knockout Pig Lungs: A Model for Ex Vivo Xenogeneic Lung Bioengineering and Transplantation. Platz J, Bonenfant NR, Uhl FE, Coffey AL, McKnight T, Parsons C, Sokocevic D, Borg ZD, Lam YW, Deng B, Fields JG, DeSarno M, Loi R, Hoffman AM, Bianchi J, Dacken B, Petersen T, Wagner DE, Weiss DJ. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2016 Aug;22(8):725-39.
- Local hypothyroidism favors the progression of preneoplastic lesions to hepatocellular carcinoma in rats. Frau C, Loi R, Petrelli A, Perra A, Menegon S, Kowalik MA, Pinna S, Leoni VP, Fornari F, Gramantieri L, Ledda-Columbano GM, Giordano S, Columbano A. Hepatology. 2015 Jan;61(1):249-59.
- Comparative decellularization and recellularization of normal versus emphysematous human lungs. Biomaterials, DE Wagner, Nicholas R. Bonenfant, Charles S. Parsons, Dino Sokocevic, Elice M. Brooks, Zachary D. Borg, Melissa J. Lathrop, John D. Wallis, Amanda B. Daly, Ying Wai Lam, Bin Deng, Michael J. DeSarno, Takamaru Ashikaga, Roberto Loi, Daniel J. Weiss. Biomaterials. 2014 Mar;35(10):3281-97.
- Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Mediate Aspergillus Hyphal Extract-Induced Allergic Airway Inflammation by Inhibition of the Th17 Signaling Pathway. Lathrop MJ, Brooks EM, Bonenfant NR, Sokocevic D, Borg ZD, Goodwin M, Loi R, Cruz F, Dunaway CW, Steele C, Weiss DJ. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2014 Feb;3(2):194-205.
- Endogenous distal airway progenitor cells, lung mechanics, and disproportionate lobar growth following long-term post-pneumonectomy in mice. Eisenhauer P, Earle B, Loi R, Sueblinvong V, Goodwin M, Allen GB, Lundblad L, Mazan MR, Hoffman AM, Weiss DJ. Stem Cells. 2013 Jul;31(7):1330-9.
- The effect of age and emphysematous and fibrotic injury on the re-cellularization of de-cellularized lungs. Sokocevic D, Bonenfant NR, Wagner DE, Borg ZD, Lathrop MJ, Lam YW, Deng B, Desarno MJ, Ashikaga T, Loi R, Hoffman AM, Weiss DJ. Biomaterials. 2013 Apr; 34(13):3256-69.
- The effects of storage and sterilization on de-cellularized and re-cellularized whole lung. Bonenfant NR, Sokocevic D, Wagner DE, Borg ZD, Lathrop MJ, Lam YW, Deng B, Desarno MJ, Ashikaga T, Loi R, Weiss DJ. Biomaterials. 2013 Apr;34(13):3231-45.
- Progenitor-derived hepatocellular carcinoma model in the rat. Andersen JB, Loi R, Perra A, Factor VM, Ledda-Columbano GM, Columbano A, Thorgeirsson SS. Hepatology. 2010 Apr.; 51(4):1401-9.
- Derivation of lung epithelium from human cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Sueblinvong V, Loi R, Eisenhauer PL, Bernstein IM, Suratt BT, Spees JL, Weiss DJ. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008 Apr 1;177(7):701-11.
- Decreased asbestos-induced lung inflammation and fibrosis after radiation and bone marrow transplant. Levis J, Loi R, Butnor KJ, Vacek P, Steele C, Mossman BT, Weiss DJ. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2008 Jan;38(1):16-25.
- Regulation of chemokine expression by NaCl occurs independently of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator in macrophages. Kostyk AG, Dahl KM, Wynes MW, Whittaker LA, Weiss DJ, Loi R, Riches DW. Am J Pathol. 2006 Jul;169(1):12-20.
- Immune-mediated hepatitis drives low-level fusion between hepatocytes and adult bone marrow cells. Dahlke MH, Loi R, Warren A, Holz L, Popp FC, Weiss DJ, Piso P, Bowen DG, McCaughan GW, Schlitt HJ, Bertolino P. J Hepatol. 2006 Feb;44(2):334-41.
- Limited restoration of cystic fibrosis lung epithelium in vivo with adult bone marrow-derived cells. Loi R, Beckett T, Goncz KK, Suratt BT, Weiss DJ. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006 Jan 15;173(2):171-9.
- Acute lung injury with endotoxin or NO2 does not enhance development of airway epithelium from bone marrow. Beckett T, Loi R, Prenovitz R, Poynter M, Goncz KK, Suratt BT, Weiss DJ. Mol Ther. 2005 Oct;12(4):680-6.
- Calvisi, DF, Factor, V M, Loi R, and Thorgeirsson, SS. Activation of β‑Catenin during hepatocarcinogenesis in transgenic mouse models: relationships to phenotype and tumor grade. Cancer Res. 2001 Mar 1;61(5):2085‑91.
- Ledda‑Columbano GM, Pibiri M, Perra A, Piga R, Loi R, Dore M, Shinozuka H, Columbano A. Ciprofibrate and triiodothyronine do not suppress in vivo induction of placental glutathione S‑transferase expression in rat hepatocytes. Cancer Lett. 2000 Apr 14;151(2):153‑9.
- Ledda‑Columbano GM, Perra A, Loi R, Shinozuka H, Columbano A. Cell proliferation induced by triiodothyronine in rat liver is associated with nodule regression and reduction of hepatocellular carcinomas. Cancer Res. 2000 Feb 1;60(3):603‑9.
- Ledda‑Columbano GM, Pibiri M, Loi R, Perra A, Shinozuka H, Columbano A. Early increase in cyclin‑D1 expression and accelerated entry of mouse hepatocytes into S phase after administration of the mitogen 1, 4‑Bis[2‑(3,5‑Dichloropyridyloxy)] benzene. Am J Pathol. 2000 Jan;156(1):91‑7.
- Ledda‑Columbano GM, Perra A, Piga R, Pibiri M, Loi R, Shinozuka H, Columbano A. Cell proliferation induced by 3,3′,5‑triiodo‑L‑thyronine is associated with a reduction in the number of preneoplastic hepatic lesions. Carcinogenesis. 1999 Dec;20(12):2299‑304.
- Giorgi, O, Orlandi, M, Lecca, D, Loi, R, Escorihuela, RM, and Corda, MG. A comparative study of the biochemical parameters of the GABAergic and dopaminergic neurotransmission in the brain of Roman High Avoidance and Roman Low Avoidance rats. In “Strategies for Studying Brain Disorders”, Vol. I, Editorial Complutense, Madrid, 1994, pp. 99‑110.
- Giorgi O, Pibiri MG, Loi R, Corda MG. Chronic treatment with SCH 23390 increases the production rate of dopamine D1 receptors in the nigro‑striatal system of the rat. Eur J Pharmacol. 1993 Apr 15;245(2):139‑45.