of Giuseppe Lorini
Giuseppe Lorini (Born: May 31, 1969) has been Associate Professor of Philosophy of Law and General Theory of Law at the University of Cagliari (Italy) since 2005 and Associate Researcher to CNR (Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche; Institute of “Mediterranean European History” ISEM) since 2017. He is currently deputy director of the Department of Law at the University of Cagliari. From August 22, 2018, he has the national qualification (abilitazione scientifica nazionale) as full professor of Philosophy of Law. He has been member of the doctoral committee at the Northwestern Italian Philosophy Consortium (FINO) since 2015. Research interests include social ontology, philosophy of normativity, philosophy of deontic logic, legal anthropology and legal ethology.
- 2005. Visiting Scholar, Department of Philosophy, University of California at Berkeley (USA) (Sponsor: J.R. Searle).
- 2002-2004. Research Grant (assegno di ricerca) in Legal Sciences. University of Pavia.
- 2001. Visiting Scholar, Department of Philosophy, University of California at Berkeley (USA) (Sponsor: J.R. Searle).
- 2000. Visiting Scholar, Department of Philosophy, University of California at Berkeley (USA) (Sponsor: J.R. Searle). Project on the Origins of Deontic Logic, with a study-abroad grant awarded by the Department of Roman Law, History and Philosophy of Law, University of Pavia.
- 1999-2001. Post-Doctoral Fellowship (borsa post-dottorato) in Legal Sciences, University of Pavia.
- 1998-1999. Visiting Scholar, Department of Legal, Moral and Political Philosophy, University of Seville. Project on the Origins of Deontic Logic, with a study-abroad grant awarded by the Department of Humanities, University of Pavia.
- 1993-1997. PhD in Analytical Philosophy and General Theory of Law, University of Milan. Dimensions of the Institutional. Supervisors: Amedeo G. Conte and Mario Jori.
- 1989-1993. MA in Philosophy, Laurea Summa Cum Laude, University of Pavia. Anankastic in Deontics. Supervisor: Amedeo G. Conte.
- 2005 to date. University of Cagliari. Associate Professor of Philosophy of Law and General Theory of Law.
- 2016. Short course “Images of Normativity”, University of Pelotas (Brazil).
- 2015 to date. Member of the Doctoral Committee at the Northwestern Italian Philosophy Consortium (FINO).
- 2014. Visiting professor at the University of Nagoya (Japan).
- 2007-2013. Member of the Doctoral Committee in Philosophy of Law, University of Milan.
- 2007-2013. University of Pavia. Contract professor of Sociology of Law.
- 2011. Visiting professor at the University of Danzig (Poland).
- 2009. Visiting professor at the University of Oviedo (Spain).
- 2006-2007. University of Pavia. Contract professor of General Theory of Law.
- 2005. Visiting professor at the Universidad International de la Andalucía (Spain).
- 2004-2006. University of Camerino. Contract professor of General Theory of Law.
Olimpia Giuliana Loddo (University of Cagliari); Massimo Renzo (King’s College London); Alessandro Ferrari (Instituto Tecnologico Autonomo de Mexico, Law Studies Department).
Editorships and Editorial Boards
- Member of: Editorial Board of “Argumenta. Journal of Analytic Philosophy”; International Advisory Board of the Polish journal “Ruch Prawniczy, Ekonomiczny i Socjologiczny”; Scientific Board of “L’Ircocervo”; Scientific Board of the series “Nomologica” directed by A.G. Conte and P. Di Lucia, LED, Milan; Editorial Board of the series “Jura. Temi e problemi del diritto” (Section: Filosofia del diritto) directed by M. Clarich, A. Gentili, F. Giunta, M. Jori, M. Taruffo, ETS, Pisa; Scientific Board of the series “Filosofie dell’Economia”, directed by M.G. Turri, Mimesis, Milan.
- Co-editor (along with Wojciech Żełaniec) of the Special Issue 2018 of the journal “Argumenta” dedicated to “The Background of Constitutive Rules”.
- Co-editor (along with Antonio Incampo) of the Special Issue (forthcoming) of the journal “Teoria e critica della regolazione sociale” dedicated to “Drawing Social Reality”.
Peer Reviewer for Academic Journals and Publishers
Served as referee for: Journal of Social Philosophy, Wiley; Journal of Social Ontology, De Gruyter, Berlin; Cosmos + Taxis. Studies in Emergent Order and Organization, Department of Pathology and Laboratory. Medicine at The University of British Columbia and the Department of Political Science at Simon Fraser University; Ratio Juris. An International Journal of Jurisprudence and Philosophy of Law, Blackwell, Oxford; Phenomenology and Mind, IUSS press, Pavia; Praxis Filosófica, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia; Teoria e Critica della Regolazione Sociale, Mimesis, Milan; Rivista Italiana di Filosofia del Linguaggio; Springer, Dordrecht; Irish Research Council.
Member of: Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy (SIFA); Italian Society of Legal Philosophy (SIFD); Network for Phenomenological Research; Scientific Committee of the Laboratory for Research in Phenomenology and Sciences of the Person (PERSONA), University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan; International Social Ontology Society (ISOS); Research Committee on Sociology of Law (International Sociological Association-Association Internationale de Sociologie).
Research Projects, Grants, Networks
- 2016. Joint Research Programme on “Graphic Forms and Graphic Norms” with P. Maynard (Visiting Scientist) funded by University of Cagliari.
- 2014-2015. Research project on “Truth, Persuasion and Communication” (PI: M. Dell’Utri) funded by Regione Autonoma della Sardegna, scientific coordinator of the research unit of the Department of Law, University of Cagliari.
- 2014. Research programme “Verità, immagine, normatività” funded by Fondazione Banco di Sardegna, scientific coordinator.
- 2013. Research programme “La norma disegnata” funded by Fondazione Banco di Sardegna, scientific coordinator.
- 2012. Research programme “Le forme giuridiche della vendetta” funded by Fondazione Banco di Sardegna, scientific coordinator.
- 2011. Research programme “La norma negli ordinamenti normativi spontanei” funded by Fondazione Banco di Sardegna, scientific coordinator.
- 2009. Research programme “La lingua del diritto e la realtà delle istituzioni” funded by Fondazione Banco di Sardegna, scientific coordinator.
- 2006. Research programme “Istituzioni e ordinamenti giuridici spontanei” funded by Fondazione Banco di Sardegna, scientific coordinator.
Principal scientific publications
Books and edited collections
- Verità Immagine Normatività. Truth, Image, and Normativity. Edited by Pier Luigi Lecis, Giuseppe Lorini, Vinicio Busacchi, Pietro Salis and Olimpia Giuliana Loddo. Macerata, Quodlibet (Collana: Analisi filosofiche), 2017.
- Anankastico in deontica. Edited by Olimpia G. Loddo and Roberto Pusceddu. Milan, LED, 2017.
- Il senso e la norma. Turin, Giappichelli, 2016.
- Antropologia della vendetta. Edited by Giuseppe Lorini and Michelina Masia. Naples, Edizioni Scientifiche Italiane, 2015.
- Filosofie della norma. Edited by Giuseppe Lorini and Lorenzo Passerini Glazel. Turin, Giappichelli, 2012.
- Oggetto e atto. Contributo alla Filosofia del diritto. Turin, Giappichelli, 2008.
- Amedeo G. Conte / Paolo Di Lucia/ Antonio Incampo / Giuseppe Lorini / Wojciech Żełaniec, Ricerche di Filosofia del diritto. Edited by Lorenzo Passerini Glazel. Turin, Giappichelli, 2007.
- Il valore logico delle norme. Bari, Adriatica, 2003. New edition: Bari, Adriatica D.A, 2012.
- Atto giuridico. Edited by Giuseppe Lorini. Bari, Adriatica, 2002. New edition: Bari, Adriatica D.A, 2012.
- Dimensioni giuridiche dell’istituzionale. Padua, CEDAM, 2000.
Giuseppe Lorini has published more than 70 scientific articles. The following list is a selection of his most recent publications in English:
- (With Stefano Moroni), How to Make Norms with Drawings. An Investigation of Normativity beyond the Realm of Words. “Semiotica”, forthcoming. (Accepted March 23, 2019.)
- Animal Norms: An Investigation of Normativity in the Non-Human Social World. “Law, Culture, and the Humanities” [Published online before print September 26, 2018, doi: 10.1177/1743872118800008].
- (With Francesco Marrosu) How individual habits fit/unfit social norms: from the historical perspective to a neurobiological repositioning of an unresolved problem. “Frontiers in Sociology”, 04 June 2018, doi: 10.3389/fsoc.2018.00014.
- (With Stefano Moroni) The normativity of graphical rules: a critical exploration starting from zoning maps and form-based codes. “Planning Theory”, 16 (2017), No. 3, pp. 318-338.
- (With Olimpia G. Loddo) Thinking of Norms Spatially. “Rechtstheorie”, 48 (2017), No. 2., pp. 197-211.
- (With Wojciech Żełaniec) Czesław Znamierowski: from Social Ontology to Legal Realism. In: Enrico Pattaro e Corrado Roversi (eds.), Legal Philosophy in the 20th Century: The Civil Law World. Berlin, Springer, 2016, pp. 542-557.
- (With Wojciech Żełaniec) Czesław Znamierowski’s social ontology and its phenomenological roots. In: Alessandro Salice e Hans Bernhard Schmidt (eds.), The Phenomenological Approach to Social Reality. History, Concepts, Problems. Dordrecht, Springer, 2016, pp. 75-89.
- Meta-institutional Concepts. A New Category for Social Ontology. “Rivista di Estetica”, 54 (2014), 2, pp. 127-139.
- (With Wojciech Żełaniec) And yet there was some: Czesław Znamierowski’s social ontology. In: Claudia Stancati, Alfredo Givigliano, Emanuele Fadda e Giuseppe Cosenza (eds.), The Nature of Social Reality. Newcastle, Cambridge Scholars, 2013, pp. 182-196.
- A Philosophical Analysis. “Teoria e Critica della Regolazione sociale”, Quaderno 2011: Intenzionalità collettiva e figure della responsabilità, 2012, pp. 1-8.
- Can Constitutive Rules Create a Practice? “Praxis Filosófica”, No. 34, Jan-Jun 2012, pp. 139-148.
Main Conferences & Workshops Organized
- (With Patrick Maynard and Stefano Moroni) “Normative Drawings and Deontic Artifacts”, Cagliari, October 27-28, 2016. [https://normativedrawingsdeonticartifacts.weebly.com]
- (With Marcello Montibeller) “Il normativo e il patologico”, Cagliari, April 23, 2015.
- (With Pier Luigi Lecis, Vinicio Busacchi, Pietro Salis, Olimpia G. Loddo) “Truth Image Normativity”, Cagliari, October 22-24, 2014. [https://truthimagenormativity.weebly.com]
- (With Lorenzo Passerini Glazel) “Le scienze della norma”, Cagliari, May 23-24, 2013.
- (With Michelina Masia) “Antropologia della vendetta”, Austis, June 11-12, 2012.
- (With Anna Pintore) “Confini. Tra diritto e filosofia”, Cagliari, March 9, 2007.
- (With Anna Pintore) “Il senso normativo dell’azione”, Cagliari, March 23-24, 2006.
- (With Paolo Di Lucia) “Norma Doxa Episteme. Simposio italo-polacco di Filosofia del diritto / Włosko-Polskie Sympozjum Filozofii Prawa”, Camerino, November 29-30, 2004.
Main Talks and Conferences
- “How to Rule without Rules”, Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg, Institut für Philosophie, Würzburg, May 15, 2019.
- “In the Wild: Reflecting on Justice in the Non-Human Animal World”, Franco-Italian Conference “Droit et animaux”, Université Panthéon-Assas (Paris II), Paris, September 21-22, 2018.
- “Three Kinds of Normative Drawings”, Visual Learning: Communication – Culture – Consciousness. 8th Visual Learning Conference, Hungarian Academy of Science [Magyar Tudományos Akadémia], Budapest, April 26-28, 2018.
- “The Eidetic Resistance of Meta-Institutional Concepts”, Reinach Centennial Conference, Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich, December 14-16, 2017.
- (With Stefano Moroni) “How to Do Norms with Drawings”. Workshop “Drawing Challenges”, Institut Nicod and École Normale Superieure, Paris, June 2-3, 2017. “The Background of Normativity”, IV International Congress of Moral and Political Philosophy, Federal University of Pelotas (Brasil), November 9-12, 2015.
- (With S. Moroni) “How to Rules with Drawings”, International Conference “Truth Image Normativity”, University of Cagliari, October 22-24, 2014.
- “The Revenge as Legal Institution”, Nagoya University Graduate School of Law, Nagoya (Japan), February 24, 2014.
- “Constraints on Constitutivity of Rules. An Essay in Empirical Philosophy”, University of Danzig (Poland), February 16, 2010.
- “Objets juridiques incorporels“, International Conference “Reinach: philosophies des normes et théorie du droit”, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, Paris (France), June 17-18, 2005.
- “Meta-Institutional Concepts”, discussant Prof. John R. Searle, Katolicki Uniwersistet Lubelski KUL, Lublin (Poland), May 25, 2004.